Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Valentine's Day: Baked French Toast | Submitted By: ANTLALA

1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices8 eggs2 cups milk1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream2 teaspoons vanilla extract1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon3/4 cup butter1 1/3 cups brown sugar3 tablespoons light corn syrupButter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Amount Per Serving  Calories: 395 | Total Fat: 19.8g | Cholesterol: 186mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 395

Total Fat: 19.8gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 408mgTotal Carbs: 44.4g    Dietary Fiber: 0.9gProtein: 11g VIEW DETAILED NUTRITION
About: Nutrition Info

 view all reviews »

The reviewer gave this recipe 5 stars. This recipe averages a 4.3 star rating. After reading WAY TOO MANY reviews, here is what I did and it came out PERFECT!!! 6 eggs, 2 cups half and half (no milk), 2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, soaked overnight, let sit out while oven preheated and turned each piece over, baked covered with foil for 20 minutes, poured sauce over the top and baked uncovered for the remaining 20 minutes. FANTASTIC!!! Kids and grown-ups ate it all up. Served with fresh melon. This will be our new Christmas morning breakfast!!! Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
1065 users found this review helpful After reading WAY TOO MANY reviews, here is what I did and it came out PERFECT!!! 6 eggs, 2... The reviewer gave this recipe 5 stars. This recipe averages a 4.3 star rating. Before making this dish, I read the reviews... Wished I hadn't! The dish is fine the way it is, and I would have enjoyed the taste better, not wondering what it would have been like if I used less liquid. This is a casserole dish, more like bread pudding is accurate, not like traditional french toast. You have to squeeze the bread in the 9x13 dish... but can be done eazily. My suggestion to you is to try it the way it is intented... then try it other ways too. Make sure that your oven is giving you an accurate temp., as you will under cook if not. This is a good base recipe... I find that you can make this recipe fit you needs for taste, which is why I gave it 5 stars. If you like less liquid you can do it, less sweet can be done too. This is a recipe that you can make yours! But keep in mind that if you are reading the reviews, you may be disappointed with the intial taste... Serve it to someone that hasn't read the reviews and see what they have to say. Thanks Laura for sharing! Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
244 users found this review helpful Before making this dish, I read the reviews... Wished I hadn't! The dish is fine the way it... The reviewer gave this recipe 4 stars. This recipe averages a 4.3 star rating. Reviewed on Dec. 1, 2007 by Mom2Many   view full review This was delicious, but mainly because I made the modifications made by other reviewers. I did 6 eggs and 1 c. milk and 1 c. half and half. I also added a lot more cinnamon, just my personal pref. In order to get my bread just right, I sliced it and then put it in the oven at 200 to dry it out a bit, flipping once while in there. I think that helped a lot, as would slicing it and letting it get stale on its own. I then cut each thick slice of French bread into 4 pieces. In the morning, I flipped all the pieces about 2-3 hours before it went into the oven. There were a few pieces of bread that were dry (maybe b/c I used a little more bread than called for by accident), so I did up a little more of the egg and cream mixture and just drenched the dry ones. I put it in the oven covered for about 25 minutes and then removed the foil and poured the caramel mixture over (used maple syrup instead of corn syrup which gave it great flavor). This was for a brunch for about 15 ladies and it was a hit! Many requested the recipe. I found the texture was perfect, crispy on top, but not hard. Yet still moist. The flavor was great, not too sweet as others had said. I really labored over all the previous reviews because so many had issues w/ it being soggy, but I will for sure make this again with the changes. (I did double this recipe and serve in a chafing dish, and it held up really well to being kept warm for about 2-3 hours. And it smelled delicious all the while). Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
133 users found this review helpful This was delicious, but mainly because I made the modifications made by other reviewers. I did... profile image

View the original article here

0 comments:

  © Cook my Food 2011

TOP