Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tacos, Burritos, and Enchiladas: Oaxacan Tacos | Submitted By: Lola

2 pounds top sirloin steak, cut into thin stripssalt and pepper to taste1/4 cup vegetable oil18 (6 inch) corn tortillas1 medium onion, diced4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped4 limes, cut into wedges1 bunch fresh cilantro, choppedHeat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the steak strips, stirring constantly, until browned on the outside and cooked through, but not too firm, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Heat the oil in the skillet, and quickly fry each tortilla on both sides, until lightly browned and flexible. Set aside, and keep warm. Place tortillas on a plate, and top with steak strips, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro to taste. Squeeze lime juice over. Wrap and eat. Amount Per Serving  Calories: 379 | Total Fat: 21.4g | Cholesterol: 59mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

Servings Per Recipe: 9

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 379

Total Fat: 21.4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 69mgTotal Carbs: 28.1g    Dietary Fiber: 4.7gProtein: 20.3g VIEW DETAILED NUTRITION
About: Nutrition Info

 view all reviews »

The reviewer gave this recipe 5 stars. This recipe averages a 4.6 star rating. I made these for dinner tonight and they are awesome! Very simple, easy, tasty, and very authentic. My former neighbors had a housekeeper from Central America and these are very much like the tacos she made for us, except she made the corn tortillas by hand, without a press even! Do try to get the highest quality top sirloin that you can find - it does make a difference. I recommend Whole Foods Market all-natural beef, if you have a store in your area. They are a little more expensive but it is worth it for the taste and tenderness. Also, if you don't like hot food, remove all the seeds and veins from the peppers before you chop them. That's where most of the heat comes from. The only thing that I did differently was, like another reviewer, I marinated the sliced steak with a little fresh squeezed lime, salt, and pepper for about 10 or 15 minutes (just long enough to have a Corona) before I seared it, then added a little more salt and pepper after cooking. Also coated my cast iron skillet with a tiny amount of oil, just enough to prevent sticking. Lola, thanks so much for sharing this!!! Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
18 users found this review helpful I made these for dinner tonight and they are awesome! Very simple, easy, tasty, and very... The reviewer gave this recipe 4 stars. This recipe averages a 4.6 star rating. Reviewed on Jun. 6, 2003 by BUTTERFLYGARDENER   view full review I really liked this recipe but I altered it somewhat. I did not fry the tortillas, just used them soft. And I cooked my onions with the steak, and then tossed the steak & onions, w/the salt, pepper and lime juice in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge for half an hour. The steak just cooked in oil by itself did not have much taste. Also I added shredded cheddar cheese and put homemade guacamole in my taco. Next time, and I WILL make it again, it was yummy, I will use flank steat b/c the cut the recipe calls for is so much more expensive. Thank you Lola, I enjoyed this meal and can't wait for my leftovers tonight. Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
17 users found this review helpful I really liked this recipe but I altered it somewhat. I did not fry the tortillas, just used... profile image

View the original article here

0 comments:

  © Cook my Food 2011

TOP